Canadians are ready for legal cannabis
As recreational use of cannabis became legal on October 17, we conducted a national survey of 3,000 Canadian adults on behalf of The Cannabis Council of Canada in September to find out how the country was feeling about legalization.
Here’s a summary of what we found:
1. Most people support (46%) or can accept (24%) cannabis legalization. Thirty percent are opposed. Strong support is higher than (25%) than strong opposition (18%).
2. A majority in every region of the country support or accept legalization as do Liberal, NDP, and Conservative supporters.
3. 70% feel that the rules and regulations set by Health Canada and the Government of Canada for legal cannabis are working well enough.
4. 76% believe that cannabis is either better or equivalent to other products adults consume recreationally like beer, wine, and spirits.
5. 71% know at least one or two friends or family who use cannabis on a monthly basis.
Bruce Anderson & David Coletto
Abacus Data, Toronto