More questions – for the media
Following-up on the letter from Robert Thompsett with his questions for the candidates, I think it would also be useful if our news outlets made an overall review of what the present administration has actually done and compare with the best practice of other cities.
A few points journalist could look at:
• What has the mayor and council actually done for the taxpayers (other than increasing our taxes)?
• Do our tax increases match those of other city?
• What has this mayor and council done to limit the cost of city civil servants?
• How has this mayor and council followed up on the report tabled with the previous mayor, estimating the efficiency of our civil servants at around 50%?
• What has our council learned from other cities in urban transportation?
• What has council learned from other cities in limiting city debt – and not just treating taxpayers as their piggy bank?
• How do we get more people to vote? Municipal voting has the lowest turnout, while Council decisions have a strong impact on our daily lives.
These questions should be added to the general debate.