Over 1,700 trees identified in Wychwood
For many years now, many Wychwood residents have been fighting to preserve the trees in their neighbourhood. A few years ago, the residents’ association “Les amis de Wychwood/Friends of Wychwood” even launched an awareness campaign to emphasize the importance of protecting the trees, in particular in that neighbourhood.
To demonstrate the fact that their neighbourhood included a good number of extraordinary trees and to reinforce their mandate of protecting their trees, the community association commissioned an inventory.
The purpose of the study, led by Suzanne Hardy, expert with the company Enracinart, was “to compile maximum information on the value of the plant coverage of the neighbourhood and better identify trees of special interest as well as other valuable elements.”
The author of the study identified a total of 1,714 mature trees in Wychwood. As the report mentions, “They are spread over 411 lots, including 401 properties with identifiable dwellings and an address within the 21-street neighbourhood, resulting in an average of 4.27 mature trees per residential property.”
Compared to many neighbourhoods with less than one tree per residence, the average is high in Wychwood, where 3,500 people live. Over 60% of Wychwood properties have mature trees. The other 40% have no mature trees identified because of limited access to the properties. That is the reason why there are probably more mature trees than the study was able to identify.
The study on mature trees took place in June 2017.