Wychwood Tennis Club celebrates 90th anniversary
This is a significant year for the tennis club in Aylmer that was launched in 1928. Former and current members have been invited to help mark this anniversary. There are also changes to the club’s courses and activities.
Wychwood Tennis Club organizers request that photos, mementos and stories of all kinds be shared with the club. A committee has been established to gather stories and they can be reached at email@example.com.
The first 50 years were more complicated for the club and much has changed since.
The Wychwood Tennis Club was founded by ten residents to offer recreational activities to the community. They contributed $200 so as to offer recreation activities to residents. This money was used to build the courts. But when the economic crisis of 1929 hit, the money was delayed by three years. Luckily, women from the group took charge of the project and by running dances, pastry sales and club cards, they came up with enough money to keep the grounds.
In the 1930s, the club fee was $10 per family, $6 for a senior and $3 for juniors. A caretaker was paid $1 per day, but not at all on rain-days.
The tennis ground was built out of wood, so upkeep and playing were challenges. Tape was damaged due to pebbles accumulating beneath, making for bizarre rebounds and plenty of contested calls during games.
Financial trouble once again plagued the club in the 1950s. The club fees remained the same, despite operational fee increases. In 1958-1959, directors took out a loan to open a cantine. Revenues generated at the Wychwood Cantine covered taxes and grounds maintenance. With the extra money available, the club changed the surface to clay from wood.
This year, the day to remember is April 6. By signing up before this date, members have access to discount on club fees and juniors who sign up for lessons will receive a Wychwood T-shirt. For more information about lessons and activities, visit www.tenniswychwood.com.