Radon ... again
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that comes from the ground and is found in all homes. At low levels, it does not pose a significant health risk. However, radon gas can build up over time, and prolonged exposure to elevated levels can cause lung cancer. In fact, radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers and kills more than 3,200 Canadians each year.
Since radon has no smell, no colour and no taste, the only way to know whether you have a high level in your home is to test for it. Fortunately, radon can be detected using a simple and inexpensive test, which is available online, at select retailers, or from a certified radon professional.
For more information, read Health Canada’s statement on Radon Action Month, or visit our Website.